Second Generation Computer
Duration: 1956 to 1963
Used: Transistors, Magnetic cores memory
Language: Assembly level programming language
Example: PDP-8, IMB 1401, IMB 7090.
(1) Computer's of this generation were smaller as compared to First Generation Computer.
(2) Less heat generate compared to first generation computer.
(3) More faster, cheaper, smaller, more energy-efficient and more reliable than first generation computer.
(1) Air-conditioning was required in second generation computer.
(2) Commercial production was difficult.
(3) Very costly.
(4) Constant maintenance was required.
(5) Second generation computer’s size was smaller compared to first generations computers.